A warm chai on a cold night sounds like the perfect combo and it is easy to make at home!
Store bought Chai often contains a lot of sugar, artificial colors and chemicals. This home-made recipe is not only natural and delicious but has many health benefits as well.
Turmeric, ginger and coconut oil are anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial to help boost your immune system and keep you feeling healthy. The coconut oil adds an extra boost to your metabolism as well.
Enjoy this chai anytime of day or night and enjoy often!
Ingredients to make 2 cups of Chai :
- Fresh turmeric root or powder - ½ - 1 tsp
- Fresh ginger root or powder - ½ - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds – a pinch of seeds
- Cloves – a few cloves
- Nutmeg & Cardamon - a pinch of each
- Organic Virgin Coconut oil – 1-2 tsp
- Honey – ½ tsp or more to taste
- Almond/coconut/rice milk 1&½ cups
*The cloves/nutmeg/cardamon are for flavor and can be left out if you do not like these.
*The quantity of the spices used is really up to your taste, adding more will increase the health benefits of the chai.
*Fresh ginger and turmeric have the most nutrients and taste the best but if this is not easy to find the dry powder can be used.
*Grate the ginger and turmeric finely so that you can drink it in the chai.
- In a small pot, bring 1.5 cups of your choice of non-dairy milk and ½ cup of water to a simmer
- add all the ingredients, allow it to simmer for about 5-10 minutes, cool then enjoy!
- You can strain it if you prefer, I like to leave it all in and drink the ginger and turmeric bits
Dr. Lindsey Jesswein, ND